5 Harmful Effects of High Concentration of Iron in your Water
If the water that is flowing through the taps of your house has a reddish tinge, smells foul or a distinct metallic taste, it most likely contains high levels of Iron. Pure water does not have any taste or smell but since it is a natural solvent, it rapidly dissolves minerals like iron and magnesium.
Iron is an essential nutrient in our diets and although typically pure iron content in your drinking water is not harmful, there are several issues attached to such contaminated water. People residing in places where the ground water has a high iron concentration must be even more cautious. In India, studies carried out by the Central Groundwater Board have shown states like Assam, Orissa, Chhattisgarh, and Karnataka have constant reoccurring cases of high concentration of iron in the groundwater. Residents here must use water purification systems to avoid damaging their health and surroundings.
Here are 5 concerning issues that iron concentrated water presents:
- Impact on Skin- The presence of Iron in water used for bathing harms your skin cells which lead to wrinkles and infections. This water reduces the effect of soaps and shampoos and does not wash them off easily, leading to clogged skin that can cause Eczema in the future.
- Impact on Health – Iron is classified as a secondary contaminant which means it does not directly impact your health. However, bacteria feed off the iron and hence come as a part and parcel of it. These bacteria cause severe health damage when ingested. Additionally, high levels of iron can cause diabetes, hemochromatosis, and damage to the heart and liver.
- Impact on Food- Food cooked in iron-rich water adds a metallic taste and foul smell to it. Fruits and vegetables washed with such water tend to blacken.
- Clogging of pipes – Iron-rich water corrodes the pipes that it runs through causing them to get clogged and decrease efficiency.
- Iron Stains – Iron leaves reddish stains and residue on bathroom fixtures and dishes. Additionally, it causes clothes to retain stains and smells, overall hampering their quality.
ZeroB’s D-Ferrous is India’s first iron remover. It is fitted with a unique user-friendly backwash valve that regulates all functions making it user - friendly and efficient. Other than removing iron precipitate from your water, it also removes foul odor and helps retain the colors of fabrics washed in it.
Additionally, Zero B also presents the Rakshak, a water purifier that removes suspended iron particles, disease-causing bacteria, and excess iodine. This whole house water filtration system with its 4 stage purification, auto shut off the germicidal cartridge and easy-to-wash reusable sponge filter capsule make it a stellar option.
If you have iron in your water, the best solution is to use an iron remover filter. With Zero B’s efficient and user-friendly products you can make your water safe for consumption in any capacity.